Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fun on the 29th with 5 Responses

So I hope you all know how to celebrate February 29th. I myself was ignorant until watching the entertainment movie, Leap Year, whose premise revolves around celebrating the 29th. According to a lie or legacy attributed to Irish tradition, women can ask men to marry them on the 29th and have it be perfectly socially acceptable. Usually it'd only be one woman asking one man, but in my case it was woman asking men. I didn't remember this cute tradition till around 8pm when I was at Macey's grocery shopping with a roommate. Caiti reminded me of the holiday and I, as usual when faced with the prospect of celebrating holidays, got all excited and wild eyed. The first guy favored with my proposals that night was a ward member and friend, Kevin, as I took a knee by the check out line.

His was the first of five proposals that night, with as many responses. Kevin, Kevin, Colin, Steel, and Trace each were favored and each responded differently, with embarrassed but knowing laughter, absolute speechlessness out of shock and fear, a "I would, but I don't know how my girl friend would feel about that," followed by the non committal "uhh, maybe," and finally the truly diplomatic and very platonic, "I'm honored." Kevin #2 actually got proposed to six times that night, one from each of my roommates, and was finally given a beautiful ring, and, after a rather poetic profession of love, Sarah asked him to be his wife :) How could you turn down that?

Anyway, I had an unexpected good time. After rejecting me, I lowered the anti and asked if one of the guys would simply go on a running date with me. That was a commitment he, and I, could keep.

What lesson did I draw from all this fun? Carpe Diem, my friends, that may have been the last time I'll get to celebrate February 29th that way, so Carpe Diem!

1 comment:

  1. Ahaha!! This was excellent. I should've proposed to Ty or something that day. Sounds like you really lived it up. :)

    ReplyDelete