Hey ya'll, I'm back in the states and thinking I should do some catch up blogging about Israel. But, until I get around to that, I thought I'd let you know what I'm up to now. I have one more semester and then I'm applying to grad schools in a security studies related field. Here is the statement of intent I wrote for the Peace Studies program at Notre Dame. Just to keep you all current on what I'm interested in and where I'm hopefully going. I wrote this back in December, so things might have changed, I don't have time to proofread it again, so here you go:
PS, after this post, I'm clearly those who get email updates whenever I post. If you want my blog to still send you emails when I post, let me know, and I'll put you on the list :)
PS, after this post, I'm clearly those who get email updates whenever I post. If you want my blog to still send you emails when I post, let me know, and I'll put you on the list :)
My
motivation to study Peace Studies originated in a book on feminism, a
US general's war policies, and befriending two veterans of the Iraq
War. Bananas,
Beaches, and Bases by
Cynthia Enloe introduced me to the concepts of feminized and
masculinized security. Masculinized security, I learned, addresses
immediate physical threats and uses immediate physical defenses.
Feminized security introduced a new approach to peace and security
which addresses the root of a problem, such as a lack of financial
means, education, or hope. This kind of security then uses
appropriate tools to address those problems. Additionally, the author
of America's policies on counterinsurgency, General David H.
Petraeus, started to combine these two kinds of security in his
policies in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. General Petraeus
recognizes that US military hard power does not fight insurgent soft
power effectively on its own. Launching campaigns to capture hearts
and minds can be more powerful than launching rockets. His opinion
that US foreign policy relies too heavily on the military was
reflected in his policies in Pakistan,
where he coupled bombing raids on terrorist targets with invitations
to come to the diplomatic table and work out a solution under a
cease-fire. His policies in Iraq also combined military might with as
much humanitarian help the US military and diplomatic core could
provide. Finally, meeting two friends after their return from their
second tours of combat duty in Iraq and witnessing a small part of
their struggles coming to terms with the effects of war and their
part in it humanized this issue for me. I believe there are better
and more effective ways to ensure security in a post-9/11 world than
currently employed, and I feel US policy is still developing in this
field. I plan on learning, researching, and contributing to more
effective security policies and strategies in our changing world of
insurgency warfare and intractable conflict.
As
international conflict transforms from conventional warfare to
insurgency and terrorism, solutions and defenses to these conflicts
must also transform in order to effectively guard peace. While both
masculinized and feminized security are essential components to sound
national security and lasting peace, especially in insurgent warfare,
I find the US's understanding and use of feminized security
underdeveloped. I want to study to provide better and more complete
security options to the changing scene in international conflict. For
that reason, I would like to enroll in the Conflict Analysis and
Transformation track. This program will help me develop a solid
basis in understanding the nature of conflict. The analytical skills
and practical experience provided will allow me to identify both
components and roots of conflict in order to understand and work out
solutions. I am interested in this program because it combines
research with applied experience. The combination of theory,
practice, and evaluation provides the most comprehensive
understanding and will increase my ability to apply my knowledge and
skills to real issues.
A
similar approach of theory and practice is applied in my
undergraduate degree. Middle Eastern Studies/Arabic provided
excellent classroom instruction on the language, culture, history,
and politics of the peoples of the Middle East for two years. The
final two semesters of this program culminate in a language-intensive
study abroad and a final semester of reflection where both course
work and experiences on the study abroad are evaluated and explored
academically through a capstone paper. I recognize a similar pattern
in Notre Dame's Peace Studies program and would be eager to learn in
such a comprehensive manner once again.
My
undergraduate career has also provided me with opportunities to
participate in peace-building activities. I
nurtured my interest in diplomacy and peace-making by becoming
involved
in two semesters of Model United Nations at Brigham Young University.
This finished in an international conference where skills of
negotiation, compromise, and peace-building were utilized, resulting
in our delegation receiving the highest honors awarded at Model
United Nations. Included
in my peace-building experiences also are eighteen months I spent as
a volunteer with my church helping individuals and families find
personal peace through applying principles espoused in Christianity.
While volunteering, I grappled with and applied principles common to
both the Christian experience and peace-building efforts in my own
life. These common principles include love, repentance, forgiveness,
and work. I then learned first-hand how to listen to and understand
individuals so as to teach them these principles in a way that
reached them personally. Through this, I developed compassion,
vision, and analytical and planning skills. These skills and
attributes gained from learning how to work with people, building
relationships, genuinely caring about them, and teaching and
persuading are applicable skills to transformational peace-building
on both an individual and a community scale.
In
the future, I plan on applying this education and experience toward a
doctorate program in peace or security studies. I will then utilize
that education to research and apply innovative security solutions to
changing security needs. My plan in applying that goal is to
eventually research and teach at a university or work in government
with the Defense Intelligence Agency, National Security Agency, or
the State Department.
To
conclude, there are many ways to promote peace through security than
have been previously explored, researched, and applied. Current
methods for obtaining and maintaining security in US policy would be
complemented by security policies aimed at resolving the roots of
conflict as well as physically defending against present threats. I
want to research innovative peace solutions for insurgent and
terrorist conflicts. I know I would be an asset to this program. I
greatly appreciate what this program tries to do, and I appreciate
your consideration of me as an addition to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment