Saturday, December 17, 2011

Israel/Palestine highlights so far

Here are some highlights from our trip through Israel/Palestine. We finished finals and then crossed the border on the 10th. We spent the first few days in the north, staying at a convent in Nazareth and a kibbutz on the Galilee. We then headed south and are staying in the BYU Jerusalem center now. We're going to the Temple Mount, Bethlehem, and spending time talking to people in different quarters in Jerusalem tomorrow. I could go on forever about stuff we're learning and seeing here, but I won't unless you ask so I don't bore you. So, ask any questions you have. Our days are spent waking up early, boarding and getting off the tour bus, seeing sights, listening to Dil tell us the history of it, and the program flew out BYU's Middle East conflict specialist to give lectures at night. We also are having some Palestinian and Israeli lecturers come in.

This is an ancient gate in Northern Israel, one that Abraham may have actually passed through when Lot and his people were carried off and Abraham went after them to free them. It's so cool to hear about things that are abstract to me or ancient and then see physical evidence of it that you can touch that that ancient person may have touched too. It makes it come alive.


James, Jeremy, and Mark playing the part of Israeli soldiers during the Six-Day War near the Syrian border in a broken down tank.

Matt, Garrett, and I at the Sea of Galilee. I swam for over an hour and then a big group of us played freeze tag on the beach and then had chicken fights in the water. I collapsed every time I was the base. I would suddenly get sharp pains in the part of my back that bent over newspapers every day for two hours :)
My faith grew a lot at the Sea of Galilee :)
Angie, me, and Bei at Caesaria on the Mediterranean where there used to be a port. This is where the ocean was so beautiful with greens, deep, bright blues, and white tops.

The Garden Tomb was really special. It was cool to walk inside and think of that first resurrection and all the hope it brings on a daily basis. It was the most peaceful tourist site I've been  to.  Our guide  was a  former atheist from London who found God late in life. He had such a genuine joy and sincere belief in the Savior. That was lovely.
This is an olive tree in one of the two olive groves of Gethsemane. I was told some are scientifically proven to be 2000 years old. That was a really peaceful place and one of my favorite experiences here in Jerusalem so far. 

I'm excited to see you all soon!

1 comment: