Last weekend, a lot of us took a trip to Wadi Mujib. It was a great break from classes. Wadi means canyon or indicates a low place where water can flow. It was really cool to see flowing water in Jordan. It's in the top five water deprived countries, so we don't even flush the toilets after every use :) My class and I were telling our professor, Dr. Khalid, about Provo's geography and climate because he'll be a visiting professor at BYU next semester. As we told him about it, I was surprised that Provo seemed like a watery oasis compared to what I'm now used to here in Jordan. There's TWO lakes in the region?! There's a river that flows YEAR ROUND! I always thought of it as a desert, which is true, but it's no comparison to here.
I digress, this is Wadi Mujib. We walked up stream and climbed over small waterfalls. Amazing time.
 |
| This is the entrance to Wadi Mujib. On the left is Laura Beth, Dil's wife. She came on her lonesome and hiked all those waterfalls and had a good time. |
 |
| Me at the entrance |
 |
| Beautiful. It was narrow, vertical canyon walls the whole time with only a little sun poking in every now and then. |
 |
| Jarom under a big widow-maker :) I thought this rock was so funny because one slip along the big Rift Valley Fault line running just a kilometer or two away would drop this rock on top of the Unfortunates below. |
The hike ended at a waterfall. It reminded me so much of Havasupai. As I got closer, the spray made it hard to breath or see, but once behind it, you could dive in easily. The falls pummel you twice before you can come up again for air. It was such a great trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment