Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Musing on one Difference between two Desert Kingdoms

So today I was loitering around at Jordanian University talking with a classmate about her opinions on the King recently dissolving the government and what her dad is going to do now (he was a representative in the parliament up until yesterday). Suddenly, in walks this Saudi Arabia procession coming to give a lecture. Leading them was who I assume was the speaker, an older guy with a beard, walking with purpose in a long black robe with gold trimming. Following him were all the men wearing the traditional, white, Lawrence of Arabia gallibiyas with the red and white checkered kifeyas on their heads with the black-rope ties around them. Following behind there was the procession of women in their long black abayas and black niqab (head and face veil with an eye slit). One called out a greeting to us, "Issalamu wilekum." I said the response greeting in return, "Wilekum issalam," then turned back to my friend in her cute, colorful hijab (head scarf), pretty make-up, and trendy clothes. Suddenly, Jordan felt like the most Western place to me. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment