Sunday, September 4, 2011

Dead Sea and the Middle East's This is the Place

It's been brought to my attention by multiple sources that my comment that the first baptism ever didn't occur in Jordan River. Sorry. The thought in my head was that Christianity as its known today started with that baptism in Jordan. That's correct that the first baptism was not in Jordan.

Jarom and I with the Jordan at our backs. It's just a green-water ditch at this time of year with all the water usage upstream, but I got to touch the water. I have a thing with touching rivers that have been important or historical, so now Jordan's on the list :)

"This is the place?" Just a funny, non-sacreligous reference to God's promised lands being deserts. He wants us to work hard, I guess. This is from the top of Mt. Nebo looking down into Western Jordan and Eastern Israel. The large green patch is Jordan, beyond is probably not visible but it's the Jordan River, then Jericho.


It was effortless floating in the Dead Sea. I tried putting my feet down to flip over to my back but was too buoyant, so I just rolled over. Once on my back, I pretended to be a superhero and had a friend push on my feet to launch me forward. It was fun, but I got some salt water in my mouth and it was all kinds of nasty. ;)


In Jordan is a place called the Citadel where on one of the tallest hills, civilizations have built things from the Pre-Neolithic period to the Middle Ages. So there's a bunch of ruins. This is a Roman column. My favorite part was looking around at the city. It consists of packed, steep, rolling hills covered with low-rise, yellow residential buildings. You could see people's laundry on roof tops and a lot of other more well-known sites as well. 




2 comments:

  1. HI Hilary, I like your comment that the promised lands are desert places. The hard work that makes deserts blossom must bring blessings. And I like blessings. Dad and I are visiting Tyler, Casey and Taigan. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told someone about your visiting the spot where Christ was baptized and was asked whether the water was clean or dirty. Thanks for answering our question. Thanks for the pictures. As mom said, we are having fun visiting Tyler and Casey and especially trying to make Taigen cackle! Love Dad

    ReplyDelete